Bowie County Info and Events
Bowie County Info and Events. We hope this page will inspire you to enjoy our Hometown of New Boston, and the surrounding Bowie County TX area. Listing various events will hopefully inspire you even more to visit us!
Our ReMax Preferred West office is located in New Boston, Texas - the county seat for Bowie County and is nestled in the very northern and eastern tip of Texas. Railroads played an important role in establishing our "New" Boston since the original "Boston" was a little too far south to be a depot for the railroad. As a result, New Boston became well established with a station for the railroad. As New Boston grew, highways and people came here to enjoy the small town feel of a beautiful green area. The area is rich in grazing and timber land.
Just east of New Boston is the Red River Army Depot that helped this area grow since World War II. Now, we have an area within the Depot called TexAmerica that is re-purposing the depot into a new light industry and commercial area for new businesses and employment.
New Boston and Bowie County both have an active Chamber of Commerce that helps promote businesses throughout our area as well as within our downtowns. See our Calendar and listings of various events coming to our area, just below.
In case you missed it on the Calendar, the different areas are in different colors.
Have an event you want listed? Send us an email with the details to HERE
Map of local Listings in our area
Bowie County Info and Events by Municipalities
Avery is a small town just west of Bowie County, TX in Red River County, but most certainly part of our real estate area. It's on Rt 82 and is closer to our De Kalb/New Boston area than Paris, TX. Avery is probably best know for its tomatoes - they were the largest producer of them from the 1920 into the 1960's. It has it's own High School, but the population is below 1,000.
Bassett is a very small community on Rt 67, at the intersection of 990 in the southwest area of Bowie County.
Burns is a small rural community located off Farm Road 560 and County Road 2109 about fourteen miles northwest of Texarkana in northwestern Bowie County. The settlement was probably named for a family named Burns, and at one time an African-American school was located there. In 2000 the community had a population of 400 and was part of the Hooks Independent School District.
Carbondale is on the St. Louis Southwestern Railway, on Rt 67 - just West of Corley and Rt 8, about ten miles south of Boston in southern Bowie County. It was named for the coal deposits in the area. A post office was established there in 1907 and remained open into the 1950s. In 1925 the reported population was thirty-five. In 1982 the town had thirty residents and no rated businesses. Through 2000 the population was still thirty.
Corley is on the St. Louis Southwestern Railway, at the intersection of Rt 67 and 8, about three miles west of Maud in southern Bowie County. The community was named for John C. Corley, an early settler. A post office was established there in 1882 with J. Carr Turner as postmaster, and by 1884 the town had a sawmill, a gristmill, a gin, a store, a hotel, and a population of seventy-five. By 1890 the community's population had reached 100, but in 1896 it was reported as only fifty. The Corley post office was discontinued in the 1950s. In 1982 the town had a reported population of thirty-five and no rated businesses. The population was still reported at thirty-five in 2000.
Dalby Springs is a small unincorporated town on Rt 561 and 259 in Bowie County, Texas, United States, once noted for its red sulphur springs, but now a virtual ghost town. Dalby Springs was first settled around 1839 and became a town around 1856. It began declining in the 1940s, with the advent of mechanized agriculture (as there were many cotton fields in the area).
De Kalb is a city on the main road Rt 82 in Bowie County, Texas, United States. The population was 1,699 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Texarkana metropolitan statistical area. Its two area codes are 430 and 903. Its ZIP code is 75559. It is in the Central Time Zone. They have their own school system and a very nice suburb of Texarkana.
Hooks is a city in Bowie County, Texas. The population was 2,769 at the 2010 United States Census. We are a part of the Texarkana metropolitan area. Hooks is on U.S. Highway 82 and the Texas Northeastern Railroad, thirteen miles west of Texarkana in eastern Bowie County. The town grew up around Warren Hooks' plantation in the late 1830s. Rail service began in 1876. A post office opened in 1884 with James Smith as postmaster. By 1890 the town had three churches, a school, two sawmills, a hotel, and 250 residents. By 1914 it had a bank and a weekly newspaper, the Hooks Herald, published by M. W. West; the population had reached 400. The population declined to 100 by 1925, but a boom in the late 1920s raised it to 350 by 1929. By 1936 it was again reported as 100. Shortly before the United States entered World War II, two large military installations, the Red River Army Depot and the Lone Star Army Ammunition Plant were constructed just south of the town, spurring growth dramatically. The City of Hooks was incorporated in 1942.
Hubbard is an unincorporated community in Bowie County, Texas, United States. Bowie County is located in the northeastern corner of Texas. It is part of the Texarkana, Texas–Texarkana, Arkansas Metropolitan Statistical Area. The Hubbard Independent School District serves area students.
Leary is located in eastern Bowie County, bordered on the south by U.S. Route 82 and the Red River Army Depot. Interstate 30 passes along the northern edge of the city, with access from exits 212 and 213. Texarkana is 10 miles (16 km) to the east, and New Boston is 12 miles (19 km) to the west. According to the United States Census Bureau, Leary has a total area of 1.3 square miles, of which 0.0077 square miles, or 0.68%, is water.
Malta is an unincorporated community in Bowie County, Texas, United States. It is part of the Texarkana, Texas–Texarkana, Arkansas Metropolitan Statistical Area. The Malta Independent School District has an excellent reputation and serves area students.
Maud was established in 1881 with the opening of a post office. It is at the intersections of Rt 67 and 8. Samuel D. Knapp, the city's first postmaster, donated land for the townsite. The population grew steadily during the early 1900s, doubling between 1910 and 1940. The opening of the Red River Army Depot and Lone Star Army Ammunition Plant during World War II helped provide jobs to area residents.
The City of Nash started out as T.C. Junction. It was renamed in 1884 to Park, TX after Dr. John N. Parker, the first postmaster in the city. In 1906, the city honored Martin Manny Nash, Division Superintendent for the Texas & Pacific Railroad Company, and rechristened the city Nash, TX. No matter what you called it, this place has always been a place of growth and working together. In the days when the First Transcontinental Railroad ran through town, we welcomed newcomers who were ready to build new lives in the Texarkana area. Now, people come by plane, car and bus to find just as welcoming an environment. It is located on Rt 82, just west of Texarkana and south of I-30.
New Boston - Our ReMax Preferred West Home Office - is defined less by boundaries on a map than by the sense of shared values our residents hold dear. Small town values, guided growth, preservation of historical, cultural, and natural heritage are just a few of the core principles that makes the City of New Boston a wonderful place to call home. It is the county seat and has most major roads going through it - I-30 (with 2 exits) and Rts. 82, 98 and 8. TexAmerica is just east of New Boston and a driving force for bringing jobs and companies to New Boston!
Red Bank was established in the early 1800s, well before the Civil War. In 1901, the post office was established, but closed a year later. Today, mail going to Red Bank is run through the post office of Hooks. By the 1980s Red Bank had 2 churches and a business. In 2000, the town had 125 residents. is an unincorporated town in Bowie County, Texas, about 10 miles northeast from the county seat of New Boston. It is located at the intersections of Farm to Market Road 1398 (FM 1398), County Road 2109 (CR 2109), and CR 2212. It is part of the Texarkana metropolitan area.
The City of Red Lick was incorporated in August of 1997 in an effort to maintain local control over the issues that we face. As of the 2010 U.S. Census, we had 1008 residents. Our population is made up of families that have been here for several generations and also new families that have moved here because Red Lick fits their needs. We are a residential community with a great school that consistently performs with the highest of marks. We are serviced by an all-volunteer fire department that trains hard and has dedicated leadership and excellent response times. The Council has managed to keep the tax rate as one of the lowest in the County. It's located just northwest of Texarkana, in a rural setting.
In 1889, Redwater's first saloon was opened only for a short time because church members did not find it acceptable. In 1894, the town name of Ingersoll was officially changed to Redwater as the result of a revival. They chose the name because nearly all of the springs and shallow wells in the area had a reddish color. The class of 1919 was the first class to graduate from Redwater High School with 3 graduates. The first television in Redwater arrived in August 1953. The first telephone dialing to Redwater was offered on September 20, 1968. It is located on Rt 67, west of Texarkana.
Spring Hill is an unincorporated community in Bowie County, Texas, United States. It is along U.S. Highway 259, seven miles north of De Kalb. In the 1930s, the town reported a population of ten and two rated businesses. In 1945, it had one business and a population of forty. In 1984, Spring Hill had a sawmill, two churches, a cemetery, and a school. In 1990, the population was 209. The population remained the same in 2000.
Wake Village was founded in 1944 for the war effort to provide housing for the plant workers at the Red River Army Depot and the Lone Star Army Ammunition Plant. The name came from Wake Island in the Pacific theater of the war. The population was over 1,000 in the early 1950s; in the early 1990s it had reached 4,400, and the 2000 census reported 5,129. The sections of Wake Village in which the original post-war homes exist are named WWII=related names ie Manila, Guam, Singapore, Arizona, Burma Victory, and so forth. The 1950s mid-century modern home enclaves feature names such as Esther and Marianna. It is located just west of Texarkana, between Rt 82 and Rt 67.
Whaley is an area that is located on Rt 82, just west of Hooks and is within the incorporated boundaries of Hooks. There is an exit on I-30 for it (Exit #206).
Woodstock is a small community above and west of New Boston. The closest highway to get to it would be Rt 8N.